This post is also available in: العربية (Arabic)
|Name of Publishing House||Simon and schuster|
Simon & Schuster Overview
- Simon & Schuster was founded in 1924 by Richard L. Simon and M. Lincoln Schuster.
- Since 2006, Simon & Schuster has been part of CBS Corporation.
- Simon & Schuster is a major force in today’s consumer publishing industry, dedicated to bringing an extensive cross section of first class information and entertainment in all printed, digital and audio formats to a worldwide audience of readers.
- Simon & Schuster consists of numerous prestigious and well known imprints, including Simon & Schuster, Scribner, Atria, Touchstone, Gallery Books, Pocket Books, Howard Books, Threshold Editions, Free Press, Major children’s imprints include Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, Simon Pulse, Aladdin, Little Simon, Beach Lane Books, Margaret K. McElderry Books, Paula Wiseman Books, Caitlyn Dlouhy Books, and Simon Spotlight.
- Simon & Schuster publishes approximately 2000 titles annually.
- Simon & Schuster has approximately 1300 employees worldwide, with publishing and distribution capabilities in in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and India, with sales and distribution arrangements in every major market, reaching more than 100 countries and territories.
- Simon & Schuster currently has more than 18,000 ebooks available for sale, with ebooks sold in nearly 250 non-English speaking territories around the world
- In 2015 Simon & Schuster imprints placed 249 titles on the New York Times bestseller list, including 32 #1 bestsellers. Major bestsellers in the year included The Wright Brothers by David McCullough, Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll, Finders Keepers by Stephen King, The Survivor by Vince Flynn and Kyle Mills, and ongoing sales of the 2014 publication of Anthony Doerr’s Pulitzer Prize- winner, All the Light We Cannot See.
- Bestsellers from Simon & Schuster’s Children’s Publishing Division in 2015 included The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, The Dork Diaries series by Rachel Renée Russell, and the Rush Revere series by Rush Limbaugh.
- Simon & Schuster books are frequent winners and finalists for some of the world’s most prestigious awards. 2015 Award recipients included Anthony Doerr’s All the Light We Cannot See, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the American Library Association’s Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction; Joshua Horwtiz’ War of the Whales, winner of the PEN /E.O. Wilson Literary Science Writing Award; Stephen King’s Mr. Mercedes, winner of the Edgar Award for Best Novel; and Harold Holzer’s Lincoln and the Power of the Press, winner of the Gilder Lehrman Lincoln Prize.
- In 2015, six Simon & Schuster titles were named to New York Times list of 100 “Notable Books of the Year.”
- In all, Simon & Schuster titles have received 56 Pulitzer Prizes, 17 National Book Awards, 10 National Book Critics Circle Awards, and 8 Grammy Awards. Children’s publishing has garnered 15 Caldecott Medals and 19 Newbery Medals.
- Simon & Schuster Audio is one of the original and largest audiobook publishers in the industry, with a list of high quality fiction and nonfiction from both Simon & Schuster and external publishing houses, and published in downloadable and compact disk formats. Bestselling and notable audios in 2015 included President Jimmy Carter’s A Full Life, recipient of the Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album; The Wright Brothers by David McCullough and Stephen King’s highly acclaimed audio original, Drunken Fireworks.
- The Audio Division’s Pimsleur Language Program is one of the fastest growing language education series in the world. In 2012, Pimsleur launched its first online software, Pimsleur Unlimited, and also began to offer direct to consumer downloads from the Pimsleur.com site.
- In recent years Pimsleur has developed partnerships with the U.S.O to introduce programs in Dari and Pashto for U.S. armed forces personnel stationed or deployed to Afghanistan, and is also working with corporations, governments and municipalities to provide language services to employees.
- In 2015 Simon & Schuster launched new imprints Scout Press, publishing with Ruth Ware’s bestseller In A Dark, Dark Wood and Bill Clegg’s Did You Ever Have A Family, which made the longlist for both the Man Booker Prize and the National Book Award; Keywords Press, an imprint specifically created to publish original, high quality books by the digital world’s most talented and popular stars, such as Connor Franta, Shane Dawson and Zoe Sugg; Enliven, a new imprint dedicated to books focusing on spiritual development and wellness; and North Star Way, a new publishing unit that will offer authors numerous services that extend beyond traditional publishing, such as online courses, seminars and workshops, mobile applications, original videos and audio books, sponsorships and business partnerships and podcasts.
- In 2015, the Simon & Schuster children’s department launched Caitlyn Dlouhy Books, which has earned much praise with All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely; and SAGA Press, an all-inclusive fantasy and science fiction imprint for young adult readers.
- Simon & Schuster has taken an industry leadership position in bringing readers via non-traditional means its ebook titles through partnerships with Foli, an app which uses geotargeting services, Hotels.com, which now offers bestselling ebooks to travelers, and Crave, a new app that matches bestselling authors with the hottest actors to offer romance fans an entirely new reading experience.
- SimonandSchuster.com receives approximately 1.8 million unique visitors monthly and serves as an online location where readers and fans can find easily accessible information about their favorite books and authors, including video and audio interviews, clips, news, national and local media and bookstore appearances, and engage in a community of like-minded readers.
- Simon & Schuster also operates dedicated resource sites for librarians and academics (www.simonandschuster.net) and booksellers and media (www.about.simonandschuster.biz)
- Through a network of partnerships with some of the largest distribution outlets on the web, Simon & Schuster author videos can be seen by millions of viewers. Partnerships include AOL, Scripps Lifestyle Networks, SimonandSchuster.com, YouTube and other networks.
- In 2015 Simon & Schuster launched a number of new “content verticals” and newsletters that aggregate content by category of interest to targeted audiences.New verticals included Glommable, a brand new digital hub showcasing the savviest online content for book lovers and SimonSays.com, a new portal that provides consumers with exclusive online video courses taught by bestselling authors.
- Previously launched “content verticals” include Scribner Magazine, Off the Shelf, Tips on Life & Love, offering consumers category-specific, helpful information culled from its extensive list of nonfiction titles. Articles from the verticals are regularly syndicated on major websites including MSN and Yahoo!
- Simon & Schuster publishes many of the strongest and most recognizable brands in the world of entertainment, including Pocket Books’ Star Trek® publishing program, the most successful series in publishing history, and MTV Books. The company also publishes books and series related to CBS Corporations properties such as CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
- Simon & Schuster is the home of numerous successful brand-based publishing for young readers including Peanuts, Olivia, and Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.
Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing
The Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group includes a number of publishing units that offer books in several formats. Each unit has its own publisher, editorial group and publicity department. Common sales and business departments support all the units. The managing editorial, art, production, marketing, and subsidiary rights departments have staff members dedicated to the individual imprints.
Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing
Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, one of the leading children’s book publishers in the world, is comprised of the following imprints: Aladdin Paperbacks, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, Little Simon®, Margaret K. McElderry Books, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, Simon Pulse, and Simon Spotlight®. While maintaining an extensive award-winning backlist, the division continues to publish acclaimed and best-selling books in a variety of formats for children ages preschool through teen, including such high-profile characters as EloiseTM , Raggedy Ann & Andy™ , Olivia, Henry & Mudge®, The Hardy Boys®, Nancy Drew®, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Shiloh. Simon Spotlight®, an imprint wholly devoted to media tie-ins, has become one of the fastest growing imprints in the children’s book industry, with bestselling series based on Nickelodeon’s® Rugrats®, Blue’s Clues®, The Wild Thornberrys™ , and Little BillTM HIT Entertainment’s Bob the Builder™ , Fox Family’s Angela Anaconda™ , and Jim Henson’s™ Bear in the Big Blue House™ properties.
Simon & Schuster Audio Publishing
Simon & Schuster Audio is a leading publisher of general interest audiobooks including bestselling fiction, nonfiction, business/finance, self-improvement, inspiration, language learning programs, and original audiobook productions. Simon & Schuster Audio has produced audiobooks that have won five Grammy awards and twenty-six Grammy nominations since 1989.
This post is also available in: العربية (Arabic)